Sunday, March 28, 2010

So What On Your Mind...

Sunny, 70 degrees one day, snowy 40 degrees the next, then the wind and dust, snow, sun, wind, sun, clouds, rain, sun, sun and rain at the same time... Ahhh, springtime in New Mexico.


I am so ready for the spring and summer, maybe it is just me but this seems like a very long winter and I want the nice cool (but not cold) evenings with no wind and nice dark skies that make this such a great place to live and to be an back yard astronomer. I think I am having some telescope withdrawals; I need a nice evening of observing with a good list of objects both seen and unseen, globular clusters, nebula, galaxies, planets, open clusters and even some double stars.

My eyes have been bothering me a little the last few weeks, dry and itchy (from allergies, I think) I think they are in need of some medicine, I put in some eye drops, I rub, I wash I try different things and none of it is working. The medicine I need will not come in a little bottle that dispenses a drop at a time, it will come in a telescope with a nice eyepiece that focuses that magnificent light from distant wonders directly into my retina, stirring up the excitement, imagination and amazement of the universe again, I miss it.

The medicine I am prescribing for my tired eyes, is photons, lots of photons from distant far off places traveling years, decades, centuries and even millennia, passing through our atmosphere down a dark tube, bouncing off a mirror then off another mirror through an eyepiece and "SMACK" (oops I blinked) then looked again and there it is the medicine I have been waiting for, far better and more soothing than those few drops I picked up at Walgreens.

Think about it, what those photons have been through on their way to curing my soar deprived eyes. All the other stars they passed, all the galaxies they may have seen, planets, clusters, nebula, comets, asteroids and I am sure even several pairs of alien eyes looking through alien telescopes up into their known universe. Did they blink, where their eyes tired and soar waiting for the photons, are they sitting somewhere wondering if we exist and where we exist...?

So what is on your mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment